Friday 20 January 2012

50 Days of running

I've just completed 50 days of running under Marcothon rules. The Marcothon is a challenge to run every day in December; a run being 3 miles or 25 minutes. I completed December and was feeling strong on it so decided to have a play and see day by day how long I could keep going. I was also taking "rest days" once or twice a week when I'd do the three miles very slowly and, where possible on easy terrain like the golf courses. I promised that the first sign of injury would mark the end. Well the day before yesterday I gave my right Grascilis a bit of a tweak at the top of Dumyat. Yesterday it felt fine (am I protesting too much here?) and I was due for a 7.5 mile circuit with hill reps. Instead I decided on a steady and fairly slow 8 miles without the hill reps. It proved to be something of a mistake as the Grascilis started to pull across the knee. Popped into "The Ferry" on the Broomielaw who kindly and without comment supplied me with a bag of ice. That notwithstanding I was hobbling embarrassingly by the time I got the train. So, long story short, that's that experiment at an end. On the plus side I'm feeling very strong and it has given a real kick start to the season, also my leg and knee have eased up completely this morning. On the negative side; running every day with no real recovery is, as I knew all along, a bit daft!

1 comment:

  1. A bit daft, some would say.

    But a great effort and am sure your 50 days will stand you in good stead for the season ahead, again great effort.

    ReplyDelete