Monday 18 August 2014

Coast to Coast Day 1: Monday 18th August 2014

Montrose to Glendoll

Today I began my attempt at a Coast to Coast to mark my 50th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary. A busy morning (financial affairs in Forfar while I ate a Bridie and watched Guide Dog training) and very strong westerly winds saw me adjusting the route to start on the beach at Montrose rather than in Gourdon. I insisted on actually dipping a toe in the North Sea so we negotiated the dunes at Montrose with the dogs before I turned my bike to the west and set off to Glendoll in the Angus Glens.  From the beginning I was cycling into a strong westerly and even had to pedal the downhills.  The road from Montrose to Brechin was busy but after Brechin the roads were very quiet indeed and the views west across Angus were splendid between rain showers. Met Sandra at the Rottal junction after turning up Glen Clova and took a break before setting off on the last 9 miles up to Glendoll. We are saying overnight in Braemar and although it is only 15 miles or so over the hill we had a 60 mile drive round.

No comments:

Post a Comment